Monday, September 24, 2007

Banana Pancakes...yum!

This weekend brought a bit of rain to San Francisco so I thought it would be really nice to make pancakes for breakfast one morning and just chill at home with Sean. The Jack Johnson song 'Banana Pancakes' inspired me to make my pancakes just a little more special for our cozy morning in.
When I was a kid my Dad would always make us pancakes using a buttermilk pancake mix. However, buttermilk pancakes aren't that healthy...add on some Aunt Jemima syrup and you have a meal that has tons of sugar and isn't very healthy. I searched online for different "healthy pancake" recipes and found a good one at All Recipes. Their whole-wheat pancake recipe uses blueberries so I just replaced that ingredient with bananas (I also replaced the artificial sweetener they use with brown sugar so that it's healthier)!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk, plus more if necessary
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 banana, diced
Directions:
  1. Mix the flour and baking powder in one bowl. In another bowl beat the egg, milk, salt and brown sugar together. Then, add in the flour and baking powder mixture. Stir until everything is mixed really well together. Add the diced banana and stir some more to make sure the batter is mixed.
  2. Heat a skillet to medium heat, then coat it lightly with butter (or cooking spray) so the pancakes don't stick. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake (or less if you want smaller pancakes). Cook until you see little bubbles coming up on the top of the pancake (about 1 1/2 minutes), then flip the pancake and keep cooking until the pancakes are a nice golden brown.
  3. Eat and enjoy!

My camera wasn't working so I didn't take a picture of our delicious pancakes but this is kind of what they looked like;
(I found this photo at AllRecipes.com)

The one thing I was worried about before making these pancakes was that I wasn't sure I would know when the pancakes had cooked thoroughly. Sean gave me some good advice and told me to keep an eye on the color of the pancakes, as well as the edges of the pancakes. He said as long as the pancakes are a nice golden color and the edges aren't gooey they have cooked all the way through. I had such a great time making pancakes, and an even better time eating them! I think that breakfast is by far my favorite meal to cook for (so far)!

5 comments:

Lauraelena said...

Everyone is writing such good recipes for food! I love pancakes and just wrote a recipe for French toast this time around. There is nothing better than comfort food with a twist...I know that I need to eat healthier! I always find that the Food Network has great recipes.
Ellie Krieger has a great show where she shows many versions of really healthy BUT good food. I have a slight addiction to watching the Food Network, but I think that it really helped me to learn how to cook!

NattieAnn said...

I love pancakes. My favorite when I was little were the ones shaped like Mickey Mouse. My grandpa still puts molasses on his pancakes and waffles. Its funny the things you remember when it comes down to food. I went looking for some healthy pancakes and I found these ones on Mr. Pancake . They all look and sound really yummy!

slurpster03 said...

Wow so many food blogs. Maybe I shouldn't be reading this so late at night. I want a beer dog and pancakes (not together). Of course watching the Food Network, too, also doesn't help. Its great that you relate the food to a story about yourself. Good idea!

Marie Drennan said...

Another delicious day in the Foggy Kitchen! Great recipe, and great recipe writing. Clear instructions and good tips about telling whether pancakes are done all the way through. Your blog has a nice personal feel that lets your own taste and interests come through.

Couple of bugs:

"whole-wheat pancake recipe" (needs hyphen)

"flour" (not "flower")

"well-mixed" (actually doesn't want a hyphen; "well" is an adverb already, so you don't hyphenate)

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Zoe’s Dad, I enjoyed being reminded of cooking pancakes for Zoe and her sister Hannah. Blueberry pancakes were always a favorite on the morning after sleepovers. When we lived in Gloucester MA, the pancakes were often filled with berries from our secret blueberry patch. I would climb the hill before breakfast to fill a bucket while the girls were still snoozing. The first pancake off the griddle always seems to be a loss, (stuck, burned or flat like a crepe) so I never put blueberries in the first one. I suppose I’m too impatient to wait for the skillet to get just right. I have found that the best time to turn a pancake is after most of the bubbles pop and dry out. That way you only have to flip it once and it stays fluffy. Yum Yum!