Thursday, September 13, 2007

Popcorn!

Since the boyfriend and I moved in together we've begun a semi-regular routine of watching a movie every night to unwind from our day at work. Sean (the boyfriend) is a man of the silver screen and has taught me tons about films and the movie industry. Most nights we end up drinking wine and snacking while watching our flick of choice. These snacks usually consist of ice cream, cheese and crackers, or popcorn. For my first recipe for this blog I thought that I should try to spice up one of these favorite snacks! Searching other food blogs uncovered a plethora of interesting munchies that I'm yearning to try. However, one original corn snack just popped out at me (no pun intended)! Spicy Cinnamon-Sugar Popcorn...sounds exciting, right? That's what I thought. I was a bit scared starting out. The ingredients call for hot chile oil, sugar, cinnamon and salt! I know Sean loved the idea of spicy popcorn, but spicy AND sweet? I was scared.

This recipe was created by Aida Mollenkamp and Regan Burns...I found it over at Chow.

This is what it is supposed to look like....











Here are the ingredients:
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon hot chile oil (they recommend KA-ME)

Instructions:
1. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, salt and ground cinnamon.
2. Start popping! You're supposed to use an air-popper, but I'm a poor college student...so I popped the popcorn kernels the old-fashioned way in a pot on my stove.
3. As the popcorn is popping mix together the chile oil and melted butter in a small bowl.
4. Once the popcorn has fully popped drizzle the oil mixture over your popcorn and alternate doing so with sprinkling cinnamon on top.
5. Toss the popcorn around until everything is evenly distributed.
6. Toss in a bowl and ENJOY!

This is how mine turned out...Our popcorn was really quite tasty! I recommend it to anyone who is getting bored with the standard movie-style popcorn and wants to kick it up a notch. Sean said he would have preferred a little more hot chile oil, while I would have liked it to have been a tad sweeter. In this case I suggest putting the popcorn in two bowls so you can each have your say in how sweet or spicy the popcorn is. I loved this recipe and I hope you enjoy trying it at home!

7 comments:

Sean said...

I'm enjoying that your blog isn't just another recipe blog, it's a story of your successes and failures. It's an interpretation of which recipe blog is easy to use, and which ones are more difficult than they seem. Maybe it's just me, but I would be interested in hearing about the preparations of the risks you're challenging yourself with, the problems that you found, and the failures that you're dealing with.

It would be neat if you picked a recipe in advance, and wrote about your worries, and then later described the success or failure.

for additional websites that you can check out for recipe ideas, look at Sunset Magazine (highly recommended by my friend Denise), Serious Eats (suggested by Alex) and Reluctant Gormet

Another interesting move would be to include lots and lots of pictures of the basic ingredients that you're looking for, especially if it's stuff that we (other people who can't cook) wouldn't recognize. you could probably find the images by searching yahoo images (or any other image search for that matter.)

Any way it goes, good luck.

Ryannn said...

It seems like you chose a great starter recipe that turned out good. I wasn't much of a cook when I left the comfort of Mom's cooking at home, and it has taken me a few years to be able to cook great food from scratch. It is definitely a lot of trial and error, learning and remembering your successes and failures along the way. Once you learn enough about ingredients and their strengths and weaknesses you will be able to whip up meals using your own ingenuity with whatever is left around the house.

The website for the Food Network has some great guides and general cooking tips that are a great help. Here's the link.

Lauraelena said...

Hi Zoe!!! I only had 3 blogs to comment on and I think yours is so cute I would just make yours an extra! I love to cook (it has resulted in extreme weight gain so be careful), and I just made some popcorn while we watch the Darwin Awards the other night. (Strange that a girl I went to high school with was in it!)

I just heated up some Smart Butter and poured a little on the popcorn and then shook some parmesan cheese on it...and it was yummy!!! Funny that Ryan gave you the link to the Food Network, because watching that channel taught me how to cook! I'll have to make your popcorn sometime.

I love your blog! What movies have you been watching recently?!

Laurel :)

Nicole Leigh said...

I love your blog! I recently moved in with my boyfriend too and I'd like to be a better girlfriend and cook for him. I don't have a lot of time on my hands but your popcorn recipe is something I can definitely handle, and he loves hot and spicy snack food. My mom recently gave me Rachael Ray's cookbook because she has quick and easy recipes. I don't like a lot of her recipes, but there are some that I tried and my boyfriend enjoyed them.

Samantha Axelrod said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Drennan said...

Mmmm, sounds fabulous. What movie did you watch to go with your spicy-sweet popcorn? Does the movie choice ever determine the food/recipe choice?

Nice blog work; it feels friendly and upbeat, and the casualness of the evening you describe and the popcorn recipe are a nice change from the seriousness of some food blogs.

Just one bug to fix:

"I loved it this recipe" (typo)

Samantha Axelrod said...

I think the art of improvisation is definitely a sport. It requires training, practice, and its really hard! I really like to watchWhose Line Is It Anyway? because it amazes me how good those people are at improvising and being funny all at the same time!